Rocksolid Light

Syber Shock

mail  files  register  nodelist  groups  login

Message-ID:  

MOTD


rocksolid / General / When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.

SubjectAuthor
* When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.SugarBug
+* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
|`* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
| `* Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Marco Moock
|  `- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
+- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy
`- Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.Retro Guy

1
Subject: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: SugarBug
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: To protect and to server
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:07 UTC
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!paganini.bofh.team!tor-network!not-for-mail
From: 388...@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600
Organization: To protect and to server
Message-ID: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:05:59 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: paganini.bofh.team; logging-data="502986"; posting-host="u9SGXBxcWYwZ1KHlPjHD2Q.user.paganini.bofh.team"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@bofh.team"; posting-account="9dIQLXBM7WM9KzA+yjdR4A";
Cancel-Lock: sha256:HU3RqwkcDZp5QJg9XPLKuUgMapVokPO8qwmAwetykMY=
X-TOR-Router: sha256:MmEwYjpmNGMxOjI6OjI0Mg== --
X-Notice: Filtered by postfilter v. 0.9.3
View all headers

When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:13 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: retro...@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 22:13:19 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <9c3606abbd168c61e0570b64ebdecd2c$1@news.novabbs.org>
References: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.org;
logging-data="364824"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org";
posting-account="PGd4t4cXnWwgUWG9VtTiCsm47oOWbHLcTr4rYoM0Edo";
User-Agent: Pan/0.155 (Kherson; fc5a80b8)
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5
*A|XCDf?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7
|z[.9iv^g>*8_BH0=hZt'[%)4kG|
View all headers

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a web
portal is the only thing some will use.

So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's tested.
Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be expected and it has
happened several times in the past.

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: RetroBBS
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:52 UTC
References: 1 2
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 14:52:48 +0000
Organization: RetroBBS
Message-ID: <e96156dbad41c4d5e5c4303817974e02@rocksolidbbs.com>
References: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team> <9c3606abbd168c61e0570b64ebdecd2c$1@news.novabbs.org>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.org;
logging-data="436912"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org";
posting-account="qk6pvs/sIyKYNRNFdjVS+ghlZZkCUq7cWs+7p7kaLpU";
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$zCkx5ZjMWYmkK8GSR31MeOKNoHbnZZNSI7UREIro6cheGqF0vt5ya
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 4.0.0 (2022-12-13) on novalink.us
X-Rslight-Posting-User: 7f2224730128256930309c9186f6203084896743
View all headers

Retro Guy wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:

>> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
>> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

> They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a web
> portal is the only thing some will use.

> So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's tested.
> Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be expected and it has
> happened several times in the past.

And it begins... lol

--
Retro Guy

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Marco Moock
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:49 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!news.hispagatos.org!eternal-september.org!feeder3.eternal-september.org!news.eternal-september.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: mm+usene...@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:49:12 +0100
Organization: A noiseless patient Spider
Lines: 22
Message-ID: <ulse1o$3kl1$1@dont-email.me>
References: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>
<9c3606abbd168c61e0570b64ebdecd2c$1@news.novabbs.org>
<e96156dbad41c4d5e5c4303817974e02@rocksolidbbs.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Injection-Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 15:49:12 -0000 (UTC)
Injection-Info: dont-email.me; posting-host="549eaa34ef6db9138386845ce3e1b7f5";
logging-data="119457"; mail-complaints-to="abuse@eternal-september.org"; posting-account="U2FsdGVkX1+RVqnvlvc+2kgtbz0t6jHj"
Cancel-Lock: sha1:60ASv88ORk5H5WbrTGgTyQEFmig=
View all headers

Am 19.12.2023 um 14:52:48 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:

> Retro Guy wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>
> >> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> >> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability
> >> of the Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with
> >> signups?
>
> > They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but
> > a web portal is the only thing some will use.
>
> > So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's
> > tested. Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be
> > expected and it has happened several times in the past.
>
> And it begins... lol

Can you give more information what exactly happened?

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:00 UTC
References: 1 2 3 4
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: retro...@novabbs.org (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:00:24 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <f8088eea3cdb9d5b8829bde07547fc69$1@news.novabbs.org>
References: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>
<9c3606abbd168c61e0570b64ebdecd2c$1@news.novabbs.org>
<e96156dbad41c4d5e5c4303817974e02@rocksolidbbs.com>
<ulse1o$3kl1$1@dont-email.me>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.org;
logging-data="442130"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org";
posting-account="PGd4t4cXnWwgUWG9VtTiCsm47oOWbHLcTr4rYoM0Edo";
User-Agent: Pan/0.155 (Kherson; fc5a80b8)
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5
*A|XCDf?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7
|z[.9iv^g>*8_BH0=hZt'[%)4kG|
View all headers

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 16:49:12 +0100, Marco Moock wrote:

> Am 19.12.2023 um 14:52:48 Uhr schrieb Retro Guy:
>
>> Retro Guy wrote:
>>
>> > On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 16:07:13 -0600, SugarBug wrote:
>>
>> >> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>> >> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of
>> >> the Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?
>>
>> > They already are. I try to steer people to using a newsreader, but a
>> > web portal is the only thing some will use.
>>
>> > So far, no problem. We'll never know how it handles until it's
>> > tested. Some will put efforts into breaking it, that is to be
>> > expected and it has happened several times in the past.
>>
>> And it begins... lol
>
> Can you give more information what exactly happened?

What appears to be a (sorta weak) ddos. Multiple ips hitting pages at high
rates of speed. This has happened in the past, and for prolonged periods
of time. I'm kind of used to it now, lol.

There are filters in place to handle it. When you see hundreds of users
online at the bottom of the site, this is usually why.

It's not standard spiders, I handle that differently.

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44 UTC
References: 1
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44:21 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <130f127a6f6f161b851270921e07d663@news.novabbs.org>
References: <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.org;
logging-data="1031751"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org";
posting-account="PGd4t4cXnWwgUWG9VtTiCsm47oOWbHLcTr4rYoM0Edo";
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$lTpwTw4OyIg4.RAJv0D7.ukolQq0kbdqGOe9hGPmKprmtbLiNOGTW
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 4.0.0
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
X-Rslight-Posting-User: 91053d4a47d51b416144568e5a1040f05e31ed1b
View all headers

SugarBug wrote:

> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?

The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every feature of rslight to match Google Groups :)

They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.

--
Retro Guy

Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
From: Retro Guy
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:30 UTC
References: 1 2 3
Path: i2pn2.org!.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: retro....@rocksolidbbs.com (Retro Guy)
Newsgroups: rocksolid.shared.general
Subject: Re: When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2024 14:30:05 +0000
Organization: Rocksolid Light
Message-ID: <5872a211a19233bfecbd1fe18bd6f36c@news.novabbs.org>
References: <130f127a6f6f161b851270921e07d663@news.novabbs.org> <ulqfo6$fb6a$2@paganini.bofh.team> <20240115135059.79C9B1200AB@fleegle.mixmin.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Injection-Info: i2pn2.org;
logging-data="3539010"; mail-complaints-to="usenet@i2pn2.org";
posting-account="PGd4t4cXnWwgUWG9VtTiCsm47oOWbHLcTr4rYoM0Edo";
User-Agent: Rocksolid Light
X-Spam-Checker-Version: SpamAssassin 4.0.0
X-Rslight-Site: $2y$10$ghtmQHW9S9ERV3uWSoM7SOO21GUbOpFNZFyCZvIPPdCTgciva.trG
X-Face: .&YR-G(w(DZ$$,}%k=]*5*!p'=(anr"IT`wZG'2VWdfl\r)l[42u7JH`n(JUQ*e5*A|XCDf
?&\X&uwkl38"CYX3O8m}C8E4p'%N$2#kSTVzx{Ly|DjLT\Vk7NE}NQ(VC$Yq]i:7|z[.9iv^g>*8_B
H0=hZt'[%)4kG|
X-Rslight-Posting-User: a93aefeeff923def71455caae2dbfb277a59e046
View all headers

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 18:44:21 +0000, Retro Guy <retro.guy@rocksolidbbs.com> said:

>> SugarBug wrote:
>>
>>> When Google dumps newsgroups there may be a flood of users seeking
>>> web-based access to Usenet. What do you think is the probability of the
>>> Rocksolid / NovaBBS web portals getting slammed with signups?
>>
>> The biggest issue so far is people migrating from Google that want every
>> feature of rslight to match Google Groups
>>
>> They are so used to that interface, any other interface is wrong, lol.

> Just look at our pal, Darius -- he's the poster-child for this. I would
> suggest adding a paragraph to the user signup to the effect that services
> are provided AS-IS, and if they don't like it, to take a hike.

There are people happily posting using my sites, but a few just can't grasp that Usenet might look a bit different than Google Groups.

I personally have always found Google sites quite boring. GG actually makes Rocksolid Light look modern in some ways :)

Yes, Darius needs therapy.

--
Retro Guy

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.7
clearnet tor