Subject: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For High-Latency Communication
From: SugarBug
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Followup: alt.bbs
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:29 UTC
From: 388...@sugar.bug (SugarBug)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Subject: Questions For Finding A Simple BBS Package Or Related Tools For
High-Latency Communication
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 10:29:58 -0600
View all headers

If I were to have a goal here, it is to find simple primitives that can
interoperate for sending text messages and small files (mostly
plaintext and zipped scripts and PDF) across different networks, with
high latency as an option just in case it is needed. Censorship
avoidance would be a priority. Any system or tool would fit the bill if
such can be integrated with others to assist in this goal. Any
imaginative use of tools and techs is of interest to me for
brainstorming.

I want to try installing a BBS system on a Debian Bookworm Linux server.
I want to tinker a bit and see if it is something I would like to
integrate into my comms chain. I want to start with something simple to
get a feel for the ecosystem, how BBS systems communicate with other
servers and with clients, how they handle different nets like Fidonet,
Dovenet, Usenet, how to integrate them with UUCP and NNCP, and other
synchronization or forwarding protocols. Since there is so much under
the hood of the BBS ecosystem I want to start simple. Retro software is
a boon, however I would consider newer tools.

Which BBS software package is the simplest to install and configure?

Which is the most useful package(s)?

Which would be best for integrating a NNTP gateway to Rocksolid Light?

Which has the best user menu interface in terminal?

What is the best user clients available for Linux?

What other considerations, tools, and protocols should I be thinking
about?

Please note the Followup-To for newsgroup alt.bbs.

--
CRYP7010G3R | Don't bark. Bite! | Don't beg. Hunt! | 4477 | 7766
<7adf83fb37f311ab299e33d99688f7f4$1@sybershock.com>

From: gaussianblue
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Followup: alt.bbs
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:52 UTC
From: gaussian...@asymptote.invalid (gaussianblue)
Newsgroups: alt.bbs, rocksolid.shared.helpdesk, alt.privacy.anon-server
Date: 25 Apr 2024 10:52:49 GMT
View all headers

Anonymous@invalid.invalid (Anonymous) writes:

>waiting for my turn to be the Mafia "Capo del tuti capi" and live in the mansion on the hill they call Casa Blanca.

Hey, is this the reference to a movie? I've never heard of something like that.

1
server_pubkey.txt

rocksolid light 0.9.7
clearnet tor